Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Collection to Remember

Dear Readers,

I was watching You've Got Mail, one of my all-time favorite movies last night. I can't help but watch it whenever it comes on TV; no matter where it is in the film I will either sit down and watch it or tape the remainder despite owning it on DVD. I will probably have to buy it on Blu-Ray soon because I just feel that it needs to be watched in all its glory but I digress. It got me thinking about what movies or songs or CD's that I just can't live without. And so an idea was born! (I know, I don't have many but this one is good! I promise.) What if you made a time capsule filled with all of your Must Haves?

"Wow! Kate is just a genius." "I know! I can't believe I never thought of that." "She is so pretty..." Oh stop, guys, you're making me blush.

In all seriousness, have you ever thought about it? I know I've asked what your favorite movie is but have you ever considered what the essentials were? I decided to take a swing at it; we'll see if I can keep relatively small. (Oh, who am I kidding. I'm gonna need a trundle to house my essentials.)

1. Dirty Dancing- Duh. But which copy? The one my dad got me for my 16th birthday that started it all? The 20th Anniversary 2-Disc Copy that I got before I saw the movie in theaters? Or my Collectors Box Edition with a book and 3-Discs? Decisions, decisions.

2. The rest of my top 5 movies: Empire Strikes Back (or if I am being realistic my Blu-Ray of all six Star Wars movies), The Princess Bride, Shrek, and Transformers. Plus You've Got Mail. Pretty Woman, RENT, Star Trek, Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog, and the Harry Potter series.


3. My Live in Las Vegas: Celine Dion DVD and her Taking Chances CD/DVD combo. Why? Celine is amazing. Get used to it.

4. My Zune with the following CDs/Artists/Soundtracks/Playlists: Taylor Swift, Kate Voegele, The Fray, the Footloose soundtrack (I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the best soundtrack. Ever. Debate!) the One Tree Hill soundtracks, RENT/Moulin Rouge/Mamma Mia!/ Wicked soundtracks, all of the Glee songs, Maroon 5's Hands All Over, Journey's "Don't Stop Believin' ", and Brendan James.

Here is where it gets tough. ("Really? Because you were being so discretionary before." "Quiet you...") How to decide which TV gets brought? I own over 20 series (way over 20 but that's a nice number so we'll stick with that.) of television on DVD so I just dump them all in but I won't do that.

1. One Tree Hill series. And I already broke my rule. It's my all-time favorite show. I can tell you what my favorite episode is (Season 4, Disc 4, Some You Give Away) but I can't not have the series in its entirety.

2. The series finale of Dawson's Creek. I have the 2-Hour DVD of this great show and it manages to make me laugh and sob every time I watch it.

3. Glee- "Pilot", "Power of Madonna", and "Dream On". All from Season 1 and probably my top three episodes to this day.

4. Buffy- "When She Was Bad", "Becoming Part 2", "Something Blue", "The Body", "Once More with Feeling", and "Chosen". These six episodes are what Buffy was all about: teenage drama, forbidden love, enemies becoming allies, death (supernatural and natural), music, and a sense that you can be chosen but not alone.

5. Alias- The Rimbaldi Cube Series Collection. What? It comes in a cube (the Rimbaldi cube which is so frakking cool.) and so it automatically is travel size.

6. Friends- Really, I just would like to watch the bloopers. But any episode from any season still makes me laugh so I would just grab a random disc from each season and be content.

7. The Nanny- "Green Card" and "The Finale Part 1 and 2". I love The Nanny. Sue me. She cracks me up and I think all of life's most valuable lessons can be learned from the nasal-tastic Fran Drescher.

Books. Oh the books I've read. This is a much easier list for me to compile than the rest because I reread these ones so frequently.

1. My paperback set of the Harry Potter series.

2. Nora Roberts' Tribute, Divine Evil, and The Chesapeake Bay series. I own 95% of all her books now so I can say with some authority that these are some of her finest books.

2. Nicholas Sparks' A Walk to Remember. Lightweight, less than 250 pages, and still one of my favorite books.

3. Ellen Raskin's The Westing Game. I read this book back in 6th grade for a book club and still pulls me back in.

4. Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy. Recently devoured these books and they became an instant classic in my mind.

5. Julie Andrews' Mandy. A childhood favorite and just a lovely book.

6. James Patterson's Beach House. I really enjoy his Women's Murder Club series as well.

Well I think that should fill a time-capsule the size of a trunk. What can I say? I love a lot of things and I don't want to be without any of them. Can you create your own time-capsule? Did I miss something? Let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment