Wednesday, August 7, 2013

How Do You Solve A Problem Like Writer's Block? *

I know, I'm the worst. I'm like the sun; when I'm writing blogs every week it's amazing and you soak up all the rays of my wit and insights. Then I'm gone and you wonder if the sun will ever come out again. As a writer it's hard to know what you are looking for: do you want me to detail my summer TV schedule? Only review movies? Stalk celebrities and write about it? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME????????

I don't know where that came from, I apologize. But really, I don't know what to write about sometimes and I feel that nothing is better than something not that interesting to the masses. (Of course my blog is read by the masses. You shaking your head doesn't change that. Silly masses.) And disappointing my readers is not something I want to do. So what's a girl to do?

I could write about the movies I've seen so far this summer and they vary in style as well as in popularity. Most recently I saw The Conjuring, and it totally blew me away and reaffirmed my love of scary movies. Set in the 70's and based on "true" events, the movie was predictable but believable. Nothing is scarier than possessed or creepy children. I am more convinced of this than ever after that movie. ::shudder:: I also saw The To-Do List which was hilarious and unwatchable at the same time. Having grown up in a American Pie era, one would think that nothing could be truly uncomfortable again in the raunchy coming-of-age type of movies that have been popping up ever since. No. It can and does get more cringe-worthy. Trust. Me.

I could write about how USA shows are blowing the competition out of the water this summer. The network turned up the drama with the new undercover cop drama, Graceland, as well as the heat with the hotter than should be legal cast. As addicting as the some of the drugs they recover, it keeps you on the edge of your seat and wanting more each week. Another of the networks gems is Suits and while the world would be an unbearably difficult place to work in if all men fit their suits like the lawyers on the show did, I wouldn't want it any other way. Oh, and if you can get past the eye candy the show deals plot and dialogue better than most movies out today.

I could express my utter dismay at one of the best shows I've ever had the pleasure of watching get cancelled after months and months and MONTHS of waiting to hear about its fate. Amy Sherman-Palladino's Bunheads was so good. I am still in shock at it's untimely demise. I only began watching because of my love of Palladino's previous hit Gilmore Girls and I was skeptical to say the least. Why? I wasn't a fan of the show's lead, Sutton Foster. She never really intrigued me. And then she made me fall in love with her. With her sharp delivery, fearlessness, and just genuine presence on screen I fell in love so deeply with the show, I felt like I was punched in the gut when it got the official axe. The show's concept wasn't easy to get behind nor was it the "sensational" type of show that was normal for the new "pushing the envelope because we can" attitude of ABC Family. The show was different too; while plot would ease out at a normal for real life but too slow for TV pace, the dialogue was rapidly fast and whip smart. I really could go on and on about this show. Hopefully I can purchase the DVD and relive it on my own.

I could tell you about my foray into the online dating world. I know, way to bury the lead Kate. I still might do this, time will tell. It certainly has made for interesting movie ideas. I just am unsure of sharing the aspect of other peoples' lives and how that will make me look. I know, getting really deep.

I could express to you my utter lack of excitement at the new crop of TV shows coming to our TVs as soon as the end of this month... but again I'm unimpressed with the vast majority of them. Besides the obvious addition of Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.  I honestly can't tell you what else might make the cut.

So I guess I want to know what you, the supposed masses, would like me to write about. I'm doing this mostly for your benefit, a little bit to keep my writing skills sharpened, and a little bit for myself. What do you enjoy? What do you want me to take a deeper look at? All suggestions are welcome.

Unless I don't like your suggestions.

* The first draft of the song title: "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" from The Sound of Music. Or so I think.

1 comment:

  1. Graceland is sooooo good. I thought this week's episode was amazing! The best so far!

    ReplyDelete