Monday, September 23, 2013

'Twas the Night Before TV Premiere Week...

'Twas the night before TV Premiere week, and all through the house,
Not a television set was buzzing, not even the computer's mouse;
The new television schedule hung with care,
In hopes that Monday night at 8 pm Eastern Time would soon be there.
Kate lay snuggled up tight in her bed
While visions of new and old programming danced in her head;
And Mother in her disapproval, and Dad who didn't give a hoot
Had just settled down to the inevitable dispute
When out of the darkness Cordy created a clatter
I sprang awake to see what was the matter:
It was just a squirrel; and to sleep we all went
Awaiting the following day, sure to be full of argument.

As the day ticked on and on, young Kate was filled with anticipation
For that new season of television, waiting for its appreciation.
Final seasons, sure to be filled with such declarations:
NOOOOO. YESSSSS. WHYYYY. GAHHHHHH.
(Rhyming is hard. Sue me.)
Shows in the middle of their run that can only get better or worse
And some shows trying to fight off the inevitable television curse.
New shows that show so much promise
Only to be on the bubble before they even get a chance to develop a love rhombus.

With a color-coded schedule with no room for taping error
There are always early casualties; despite critic favor.
Blacklist, Hostages, and Dads have already lost their chance,
What shows will lose their spot at my loving glance?
And who could have for seen Sleepy Hollow, a supernatural adventure with romance
being the first new show to get a season pass?
Will Agents of SHIELD  and The Crazy Ones capture my attention
or will they fail in spectacular fashion?*

Entertaining shows are hard to find, let alone with broad appeal,
And looking at the crop of new shows, very few of them seem to seal the deal.
I like to give them an opportunity to impress me
But most of time they depress me.
With so few new shows on the air
It can lead me to wallow in despair.
The state of television is already fickle and diminishing
What with premium cable and high class channels winning;
When will network television get their comeback
Stealing back some of the acclaim it recently lacks?

Those questions are harder ones than I have time to beseech,
Why be sad when such a night is within my reach!?
So I'll put away my questions and ugghs,
Instead I'll settle down, grab some snacks, and my newest wine mug!
So here's to a new season of television filled with laughs and cries
Spoilers and deaths, gasps and whys?
I look forward to new beginnings and dread the ends
And if you try to reach me during a weeknight, you're dead.



(The answer is no, they won't but again it rhymed. Rhyming is hard!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment