Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Vampires? Oh My.

Creatures that go bump in the night. Sparkly. (No. Just for the record. No.) Souls. (Or the soulless.) An undead human who drinks blood. Vampires. Love them or hate them, they are here to stay in our pop culture. I'm gonna break down four shows/movies that highlight the creatures of the night. (In case you can't tell, I like vamps. Surprise!)

My favorite and in my opinion, one and true mythological source for vampires, comes from the brilliant mind of Joss Whedon. Besides being my personal role model, he is a known throughout the industry as one of the most respected and creative geniuses of our day. Whedon wrote the original script of Buffy the Vampire, the movie, only to leave production because the movie veered drastically from his vision. He took his idea to the small screen instead and the TV show was born, spanning two networks, multiple time-slots, 7 seasons, and a spin-off that also lasted 5 seasons. His vampires can be killed by sunlight, drink human blood, and are the closest to Anne Rice's vampire.

I love Buffy. I love the mythology, I love the characters, I love the stories and parallels Whedon infused into the plot. His dialogue even created such a pop-culture phenomenon that a course was/is taught at a college in California. Scooby-speak was imitated and still is to this day. The main vampires in the show revolve around to evil (sometimes) vampires who were completely different (and have different coloring.) Angel and Spike. Both started off as evil, (they are actually related, in a vampire way. Darla sired Angel. Angel sired Drusilla. Drusilla sired Spike. Got it?) both got their soul back (Angel was cursed with his by a Gyspy tribe, Spike went through trials to get his back), both saved the world and both fell in love with Buffy.

After a while Buffy and her Scooby Gang lost the public and mainstream attention. A couple years ago a new breed of vampires hit the scene and they haven't left, much to the dismay of many. Stephanie Meyer created a love story between Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, a vampire. The Twilight Saga was born and I have to say even I was bitten. (Haha.) The story is nothing new, the main character is obnoxious, the vampires sparkle (WHAT?!!?!), and the highly anticipated fourth installment had the most anti-climatic fight scene in the history of the world. (I'm dead serious.) Despite my negative review, there is something about the books that just sucks you in and then its 5 a.m. and you've finished two of the books in 6 hours.

The Cullen clan are different from other vampires, they don't drink human blood. These vampires don't burn in the sun rather they sparkle. They look like models and move with the grace of a dancer. I try to not think about the mythology to much. The movies. Oh, the movies. I am addicted. They are awful. Especially when compared to the books. Still, I have seen every single one at midnight opening night and plan on seeing the final two at midnight, by myself if I have too. I must have been compelled by a vampire to do this but I have no choice.

The next vampire to hit the scene also was adapted from a book series. True Blood is addictive, soapy (in the best possible way), graphic, and violent. Everything a vampire show should be. There's just one problem for me, I hate the main character. Sookie Stackhouse is just plain obnoxious. After getting hooked on the show, I decided to read the first book and I didn't make it past page 3. I blame the TV character on the book character. Again, simple love story. Girl meets vampire. Fall in love and drink each others blood. Girl has powers. Other vampire needs her powers. Said vampires battle for girl. Other plots ensue.

The vampires on the show bleed during the day, their blood is a drug to humans, and when staked they explode. The mythology of the show is still evolving but it's better than sparkling in the sunlight. The thing I love about True Blood is the campy feel of the show. Sure, they rip people's throats out and show you. There are graphic scenes that aren't all together necessary. (Not appropriate for children. At all.) The cast is one of the hottest in business and by hottest I do mean physically. But each episode ends on a cliffhanger. What a way to keep me coming back.

The final and newest addition is based off a book series as well. The Vampire Diaries is a compelling show on the CW. No surprise here but it revolves around two vampire brothers (they are actually brothers who fell for a vampire back in the 1800's who turned them both) who fall in love a girl. This show's vampire mythology is more defined and makes much more sense. They can't go into sunlight unless they have a ring that allows them to live more like humans. They drink blood and have the super human strength.

I think the Buffyverse is the best for vampire mythology because it isn't being adapted from a book. This is coming straight from a man's imagination, which allows it to bend and change as the circumstances call for. Twilight is addictive and so is True Blood. The Vampire Diaries fills the whole Buffy left on television and I couldn't be any happier.

Unless Damon showed up outside my door. Then I might be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment