Wednesday, June 1, 2011

TV Loves Me, TV Loves Me Not

Well folks, it's that time of year again. The end has come and gone and well, it sucked. Yep. It just blew the big one. What am I referring to? TV Season Finale's of course. What did you think I was referring to?

Normally, I get super excited about my shows coming to a close. (Ok, really I am devastated but can I really say that? No. Excited is more socially acceptable.) The finale episodes are always the best or they try to be the best with a huge cliffhanger. Remember Lost fans, the season cliffhangers of 3... and 4.... and 5. (Not. Penny's. Boat.) I digress. This year, I had the same anticipation and TV broke my heart. Even worse than usual.

The main offenders were Grey's Anatomy and Bones. I won't ruin anything for people who haven't seen them yet (Seriously? Get on it. It's been two weeks already.) but let me just tell you about some of my frustrations. I'll start with Grey's Anatomy. I'm sorry, I really hated Meredith's storyline. I don't care that she switched results so that her surrogate father's wife would get into the Alzheimer's trial, that's classic Meredith. I more upset that the writer's felt the need to go there. Is that the only thing you could come up to give her a storyline? What about her conflicting views on her becoming a mother. Yes, they used that one too but I just didn't like it all. The whole Owen/Christina storyline breaks my heart as well. She finally got over Burke (I did too thanks to Owen) and then they throw her into a marriage. Ok. Post-traumatic stress disorder too? I was totally on board, probably one of the few. But her inability to grow as woman with Owen is just not real. Sorry Shonda.

Bones. Oh Bones. It saddens me that this show has fallen. I have been watching since the first episode because of David Boreanaz of Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame. The show had me hooked immediately. I fell in love with the show before I fell in love with Bones and Booth. When their relationship became the focal point of the show, no one could have more excited than I. I lived for the little moments, their chemistry was fantastic. And then, they ruined it. The creator of the show, Hart Hanson, has said multiple times that he didn't want them to go the way of the Moonlighting curse. Fine. Be a better writer, trust your characters to have realistic interactions. Don't take away every character development that has happened over the past 5 seasons and diminish what they actually have. The ending of season 6 still makes my blood boil, it's a cop out and erases what I had been waiting for for 6 years: a true kiss. Thanks a lot Hart. You ruined one of my favorite shows.

The finales weren't all bad. Glee redeemed itself in my eyes, but maybe the anticipation of the concert has more to do with that. The Vampire Diaries was just fantastic all year. No complaints here. Community is still one of the underrated comedies out there and it ended on a great note. Ah, but the best finale was Castle. When I think back on my favorite episodes of television this year, Castle's "Knockout" is in the top five. I beg you, if you aren't watching this show you have 3 months to catch up!!

Farewell, 2011. You were adequate.

Hello Summer 2011!!! I have missed you all!

I know, I know. I am a fickle creature. Sue me. But the time has come! Summer TV is here and oh, how I have missed frothy adventures!

Today is actually the start of summer television. Franklin and Bash kicks off the summer tonight on TNT and I think it will be hilarious. I know everyone has there own tastes and they don't always coincide with mine but I am going to tell you the summer shows I am uber-excited about and you can decide if you want to watch!

Leverage on TNT- A good twist on the spy genre. Intelligent and entertaining. Great cast lead by Timothy Hutton. Returns June 26th at 9 p.m.

White Collar on USA- Another twist on the buddy-cop show. Slick, sly, and humorous with a great cast. Matthew Bomer and Tim DeKay lead the ensemble. Returns June 7th at 9 p.m.

The Glades on A&E- Not just another procedural. Clever scripts and writing keep this cop show above the rest. Australian native Matt Passmore is sure to be famous soon. Returns June 5th at 10 p.m.

Pretty Little Liars on ABCFamily- Ummmmm. Not much to say about this show other than it's only watched 75% of the time to make fun of it and 25% of the time for the chills it provides. Returns June 14th at 8p.m.

The Glee Project on WE- Something to hold Gleeks over til the fall. Starts June 12th at 9 p.m.

Burn Notice on USA- A burned spy trying to straighten his life. I dismissed it at first then quickly had to catch up with this hot summer treat. Plus you learn spy tricks! Returns June 23rd at 9 p.m.

True Blood on HBO- Vampires. Werewolves. Fairies? Oh my indeed. Good acting makes up for this over-indulgent show. Am I hooked? You bet. Returns June 26th at 9 p.m.

Some other new shows worth giving a try:

Falling Skies on TNT, June 19th at 9 p.m.
Combat Hospital on ABC June 21st at 10 p.m.
Suits on USA June 23rd at 10 p.m.
Wilfred on Comedy Central June 23rd at 10 p.m.


Calendar of TV Schedule : http://www.tvguide.com/special/summer-tv/calendar.aspx


Well, I think that's more than enough for this TV watcher today!

2 comments:

  1. We've talked about most of this already, so I will just comment on the future contained within this post :)

    The Glades is a great show and I'm pretty excited for it to start up again. I definitely feel the lead character steals the show (which usually should be the case, right?).

    And as always, Burn Notice is fantastic and I really want to see where they go from where they left off. Wouldn't it suck if he got burned again? (and of course, this counters my previous statement about stealing the show, because Sam is a contender for best character on Burn Notice, in my opinion).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Bones Finale :)

    I can't wait for the Glee concert!!!

    ReplyDelete