Friday, June 17, 2011

Songs to Live and Die By

“Many people die with their music still in them. Too often is it because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out.” (One Tree Hill) This blog is dedicated to the music that influences movies and television.

I'm gonna go on a little Glee rant for a little bit. Most people who know me know that I love this show. It is one of my favorites, but not my all time favorite. (There's an idea for a blog. Score.) I love many things about the show but for obvious reasons one of the things I love most about it is the music. I love learning new songs and for the most part I love their take on ones I already know. I was lucky enough to go see them in concert this week. WOW. Just amazing. I felt like I was in an episode. Do you ever have a moment where you know you will remember it forever? I had that moment.

This seems like a really sappy blog and I don't really mean it to be that. I just believe that music is vital to television and movies to convey a message or tone or even to tell you what is happening. There are moments from shows/movies that I can tell you what song is playing because it embedded itself in my mind while watching it, for whatever reason. Peyton and Lucas' theme song is "Heartbeats" by Jose Gonzalez. I can picture the scene with this song whenever I hear it. That's just one example.

I love when the music editors use conflicting music with the images. The scene is a brutal massacre with bullets flying and people dying, but the music is a happy one. The characters are at a funeral and the day is bleak but the music is peppy. These contrasts add an element to the show. If every time the music gets louder when the killer is right behind the victim, it takes the fun out of the kill.

TV/Movies can be a treasure trove of new music that you never knew existed. Soundtracks seem outdated but they are just an old-fashioned mix-tape. And who doesn't love a mix-tape? No one. Everybody loves mix-tapes. You ever met some body and say "You want a mix-tape?" And they say, "Hell no, I don't want no mix-tape?" Mix-tapes are delicious. (What? Name that movie that I just made my quote into!) Some of my favorite artist or songs I found through soundtracks*.

Who can say that they don't know the score to Jaws? I dare you to find someone. You won't be able to. Every girl can identify the score to Titanic. (Not every girl but most.) Jurassic Park and Pirates of the Carribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl has some of the most recognizable music that instantly puts you in the mindset of the movie. Transformers is the same way.

The point of this blog tag teams a point I made in a previous blog about the lack of theme songs. I say bring them back. I miss them. I have nothing else really to add the thought just that it needs to happen. Case in point: Nothing gets me in the mood for Pretty Little Liars or True Blood more than their theme songs.

Do you have a memory that involves music from the movies or television? Do you agree? Do you even notice?

* Kate Voegele, Wakey! Wakey!, Brendan James are smaller artists who could use some new fans! Also Andy Grammar!




No comments:

Post a Comment