Tuesday, January 3, 2012

One is the Loneliest Chapter

Muahahahahaha... I don't really have anything scary to add. I was just practicing my laugh. My terrible death laugh (or whinny in some circles.) Today felt like an excellent day to give you Chapter Two in my "experiment". And so here... we... go...


Chapter Two

It was amazing. More wonderful than he could have dreamed. Exhilerating. The smell of his triumph washed over him. "Mother will be so pleased."

Lily woke up and smiled. Grinning like a baffoon, she swung her legs off of her bed and walked into her bathroom. "Hey there, pretty lady. Why are you so happy today? Well, I am officially an employed actress. Ahahahaha!" Laughing gleefully, she doubled over onto her bathmat and laughed until it hurt. Today was a good day.

Next door, someone was not feeling the happy mood. Aaron, head shoved underneath his pillow, attempted to murder his alarm clock. His first attempt was successful and sighing he pulled his blanket higher. Almost back asleep, his clock across the room shrilly sent off his backup alarm. "I hate you Lily Black, you and your stupid safety alarm." A pillow shot off his bed and narrowly missed his alarm, but not his lamp which fell off of his dresser and smashed into tiny pieces. "I really hate that woman."

Lily was eating her celebratory French toast when her back door slammed open. "Good morning sunshine. How's the hangover?" she sweetly asked Aaron who held up a hand as he stalked over to her coffee pot. She sniffed the air at an unpleasant odor that wafted in through the open door. "Aaron, shut the door. It smells like someone died outside." Ignoring her request, he continued her laborious attempt to awaken his system without his head falling off his shoulder. "Fine, I'll get it." Bounding up, she walked over to the door and with an evil grin, slammed it shut. "Gahhhhh!" Lily laughed like a maniac and kissed his cheek. "It'll feel better after you eat." "I'll better when I murder you in your sleep." "Rude. Eat up!"

In the depths of his hiding spot, he crawled to the gathering arena. He knew he would be rewarded, it was his first mark after all. How could they not be pleased? And the smell... foul and evil; he could still smell it from here. Yes, he would be rewarded.

Coming into the opening he saw the whole council and the elders were gathered. He paused, feeling a ripple of uneasiness amongst the group. For the first time, his confidence faltered. Surely he was mistaken. He had accomplished his first mark and had done as the council had instructed. He had followed all the instructions and rules. Hadn't he? The elder member closest to
him was speaking to his mother and they turned at the crackling of leaves behind them.

"Elders. Council members. Mother. It is done. She has been marked."

"We know. We received the confirmation an hour after your attack. Well done."

"Thank you. It means a great deal that you are pleased. But..."

"Yes?"

"Well... why are you here esteemed Elders? Surely a lowly member such as myself doesn't deserve your presence, though it is regarded with the greatest of respect and privilege."

" Enter the arena and we shall tell you why we have gathered."

Looking at his mother, he stepped forward.


"
Alright you lightweight, I have to head to my very first reading!!" Lily locked her door behind her as Aaron climbed down her porch steps. Tossing her keys into her shoulder bag she leaped gracefully off and landed in a complicated pose. Aaron, obviously not impressed, shoved her aside and continued walking down the path. "I will get back at you for last night, if it's the last thing I do. I promise you. And I always make good on my promises." Catching up and sliding her arm into his, she nodded. "Oh, I know you do. I just can't help that you have the lowest tolerance of anyone I've ever met. And that when you have 2 bottles of wine, you start to recite lines from Harry Potter, accents and all. It just makes me love you even more." "Anything for you then I guess. Seriously, good luck today. Stop by the office on your way home and tell me all about it, ok?" "Deal. I can't wait to see Julia's face when I sit at the head of the table. Ah, sweet victory. Good lord, what is that smell?" "I don't know but it reeks like death and judging by the wind, you are going to walk right through it." "Boo." Unlinking their arms, she pulled out ear buds and put them in. The rest of the neighborhood was treated to some Aretha as Lily demanded some respect.

Leaving the arena, he felt confused and bits of the conversation ran rampant in his head.

"More marks... the time has come... they will know that we are here... for them."

2 comments: