Monday, January 30, 2012

This is a Woman's World

There is a revolution and it's happening right now!!!! Believe it!!! Do you know what it is? It's a crazy theory that women are suddenly relevant in the entertainment world. ::chirp chirp::

That's what I thought.

I was watching the SAG Awards last night and while blown away by the talented ladies who won and those who didn't, I couldn't help but remember all the coverage "women" got this past year. "Women" who apparently overcame their situation as the less desirable option of entertainment. Did you know that women can be funny? I'm shocked!!!

I feel like this started with the movie Bridesmaids. Let me say that while I credit the very talented and funny women are indeed funny and talented, I didn't LOVE the movie the way the rest of the entertainment world did. My favorite scene was perhaps one of the most inappropriate scenes in the history of bathroom humor. I'm sucker for that kind of humor, don't ask me why. But overall, the movie ran long and was kind of predictable.

So many entertainment sites and magazines featured articles about the "newly found box-office power of women" and I couldn't help but be incredibly insulted. What are you trying to imply? That all of a sudden women can act just as well as men? Or that the women audience just discovered movies and TV? Because that's what it sounds like to me.

Viola Davis of The Help was truly a standout this year and she was incredibly moving while giving her acceptance speech last night. But something she said bugged me. She mentioned that not only people of race and women can rise out the prejudices put before them but anyone who is being held back. (Or something to that effect. I can't remember her speech word for word guys. I failed you, I know.) Are women really in such a dire situation that we need to rise above bias?

When I think of the best actresses right now, my list is varied with women of all races and ages. Just because I wasn't born in the golden age of film doesn't mean that I don't know who Marilyn Monroe is or because I wasn't even born in the 70's I can't know and love that Meryl Streep is the greatest actress of our generation. I would also argue that Anne Hathaway and Emma Stone are slowly but surely working their way up to the elite status of Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts as America's Sweethearts while still tackling dramatic film roles.

Is the real cause for the issue of women seemingly becoming a force in the industry that there is a lack of actual issues? Oh hey, here's an issue: movie attendance is the lowest in the history of movie going. Maybe we should all take a closer look at how much the theaters are charging. I have discussed this before and I don't' know if you took my advice or not.

I'm 23 and can name many talented actresses from my generation and from the past. I will not deny that the women brought it this year. They brought it hard. Who didn't cry when they saw The Help? Who doesn't love Emma Stone, Meryl Stone, or for that matter Melissa McCarthy? I would like to add that McCarthy didn't just become funny. She brought it for 7 seasons on Gilmore Girls and then followed that up with a memorable turn in Samantha Who? and then movies The Back-Up Plan and Life As We Know It. The woman didn't get funny over night people!!! I wholeheartedly think she deserves all the credit and accolades she is receiving but people are acting like she is a newbie.

I know that I shouldn't be getting upset over women getting recognition, it's more the fact like we've always been talented and now it's a big deal. Is this year going to be the year of the guys? Who knows. My point is that women are not facing some kind of adversity to be talented. Maybe the studios need to better market their product. I don't feel any pressure being a woman in the industry, I just feel pressure in general. It's a dog-eat-dog world in Hollywood no matter what sex you are.

(Unless you know something different. Do you know something? Tell me! I need all the help I can get!!)

1 comment: