Friday, February 10, 2012

Valentine Schmalentine

::sniff sniff:: Do you guys smell that? It's an awful smell. You really can't smell it? Hmmm. Maybe it's just me. It smells like love. Blech.

It's that time of year again. February. The lovely roses are red, violets are blue month. Yay.

I know, that's incredibly cynical of me. I should embrace the love. But I just can't. Valentine's Day does nothing to warm the cockles of my ice cold heart. Why not? There are a lot of reasons. Primarily is the fact that being single in a couple dominated society and having their happiness shoved down my throat doesn't make me warm and fuzzy. Another reason is that I believe a couple's love should be expressed every day not just for 2 weeks in February.

"Now Kate, aren't you going to see The Vow tonight?" Yes, yes I am. I plan on ogling Channing Tatum. I hear he takes his clothing off. That's the only reason... well not the only. Fine. You caught me. I love Valentine's Day. I wear red and its other family members to work. I have heart shaped earrings. I own most sappy love stories and currently my emotional state of happiness depends on a love triangle on a TV show.

I'm not the only one you know. There are plenty of V-Day Haters who are secretly Lovers out there. Why do we hide behind the hate? Have you ever been invited to a wedding but didn't have a date? It's time for the couples dance but alas you are not Cinderella and your Prince Charming doesn't appear to sweep you off your feet. Instead you stand on the sidelines, watching. (Or leaning against the hopefully open bar with a glass of wine in your hand.) You don't need to be reminded of what you don't have. It's so much easier to be bitter and embrace the hate.

What to do? Well, you have several options. (All of which I have attempted.)

1. Wallow- grab a (couple) bottle(s) of wine, get in your comfy clothes, and watch sappy romances. Or read a trashy romance novel. My suggestions would be The Notebook, Sleepless in Seattle, PS I Love You. You can even invite some of your fellow single ladies and make it an event.

2. Ignore- What day is it? Hmmm, I had no idea!! Plan something to take your mind off of your sorrows. Paintball is a great option. Cleaning is another good alternative. (This is a weak option. You won't forget. Sorry readers.)

3. Embrace- Ask a friend to be your Valentine. (I've done this twice. Thanks Derek and Travis!) Get a group of people to go to dinner and a movie/bowling/ice skating and make it about being together as a group instead of lovey dovey couples.

I know these aren't the best options. Nothing is really going take your mind off of the romance. Find your own cure and just go with that. Someday your prince will come. Or you could do what I do: wear black and watch horror movies. Nothing says love like an ax murderer banging on your door.

1 comment: