Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The State of TV Address

The Ultimate Showdown. David versus Goliath. Good vs. Evil.

You know what I'm talking about. Network versus Cable TV. Obviously.

This is a serious issue guys. Take it seriously. And I am an expert on the subject. (Seriously. I am!) Only in the past 15 years has Cable TV truly had an impact on our TV watching lives. Growing up, I only had 9 channels (and that's including 9 and 38) to begin my love affair with television. I think I did a fair job of it considering. Anyways, I really began to feel the effects of CTV (I don't feel like typing Cable TV every time so that's what we are going to go with, ok readers? I know, lazy. Deal wit it.) in high school when all the cool kids were talking about what happened on last night on Laguna Beach. (No one really cares, LC! Get off my screen!!!) When applying for college, the first thing my dad and I checked was if cable was free. No joke. (Thanks for understanding Daddy!!)

Once in college, I had the whole universe of CTV to explore and increase my addiction with, and in all fairness I still maintained a 3.8 overall GPA plus numerous curricular activities as well as 4 plus jobs. (Booyah College! Owned you!) Oh, the wonders of CTV! Movies on the weekends, new TV shows to obsess over, and I believe I speak for every Harry Potter fan that Harry Potter Weekends are the greatest thing invented. Just saying.

Now for a girl who devoted 10 VHS tapes to the nights of the week and a couple "Whatever" tapes, the channels and programming were endless. Enter stage left: my first true love TiVo. I'll keep the details hush hush (mostly because for the entire relationship it was a secret from well... I still can't say for fear of a painful death by my mother. Oh. Guess I spilled the beans on myself. I think I'll make a separate blog about our Romeo/Juliet love affair.) but I was saved. Cue angels singing and light streaming through the clouds. This is no exaggeration.

My family remained in the dark ages until my senior year when my dad called me. "Guess what I'm doing right now?' "What?" "Watching cable!! Muwahahahhahahahahha!" He seriously laughed like a maniac. After that, it wasn't a stretch to convince my parents to get DVR and despite my mom's reservations, the whole house fell in love. We are now proud U-Verse aficionados. (Your welcome family.)

Here is my point, even if it seemed like I was never going to get to it: there is an unfair advantage to be a cable show or network. I do have proof to back me up, so fear not.

Point 1. There is more money for CTV. The budget for cable shows is quite larger than your network shows, which is why some pricier shows last longer on cable where on network TV they are cancelled too quick or unfairly.

Point 2. CTV have a larger spectrum of what is allowed and what isn't. Now I understand this back in the day when it was still an option to have cable. But now there is no option, you have to have cable to even watch your network channels. Also parents are less concerned or maybe less attentive to what their children should or shouldn't watch. The time slot should determine content but even that is going to the wayside. Granted you still have to pay for the true cable channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) which have no restrictions on... anything really.

Point 3. Interruptions. Nothing, and I mean nothing irritates me more than an impromptu interruption or even a planned one. I'm talking about a minor car chase, the President landing in your local city, or even a State of the Union address. Why? For years, soap operas would constantly be interrupted during the most crucial plot reveal for some inane reason. (But never Oprah. Heaven forbid we all missed out on her words of wisdom. I don't like Oprah if you can't tell.) Even planned events halt regular programming, but not on CTV. Nothing stops that regular programming. Mr. President, read my lips: I DON'T CARE. GET OFF MY CHANNEL. I realize that might be a harsh statement but when every major network channel (2, 4, 7) airs this speech it drives me nuts.

Point 4. This past year's Golden Globes nominations frustrated me to my very core. Almost all of the TV nominations and winners were from CTV. Are you seriously telling me that no actor or actress on network TV gave a worthy performance? I don't think so. Best Television Series for Drama, all cable nominees. (What about Castle? Or here's a crazy thought, The Vampire Diaries which consistently has some of the best acting on TV?) Best Actress, 3 out of the 5 were from CTV. Best Actor, 5 out of 5. Are you seriously telling me that no actor in a network show didn't bring it? Really?? Both Supporting Categories were 4 for 5. It just boggles my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I have many cable shows that I LOVE. But they never get the credit or the accolades they deserve. I know I sound like a kid who never gets picked first for anything, I just wish there was some kind of balance between the two. There probably never will be. I just have to accept it. I probably won't but at least I got it off my chest.

If only the President had his speeches on a TV channel that was specifically for politics... wouldn't that be something?

No comments:

Post a Comment