Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I've Got a Lifetime of Knowledge

It has come to my attention that you might not be watching some of the best television on the air. How did I come to this conclusion? I don't know. I just really need an excuse to tell you about some of my favorite shows that are not a part of the popular bunch. None of these shows are in jeopardy for this season but I don't want them to go the way of "Firefly" or"Veronica Mars" and only be on the air for a season or two. (You don't know those two shows? Shame on you. While you're at it, go watch those too.) Why do you need to know about these shows? The reason that I watch them isn't enough? Well, that's just depressing.

1. Castle (ABC, Monday 10)

Seriously, have you seen Nathan Fillion? The male lead is a geek god and has all the charm of Cary Grant. His female counterpart, Stana Kanic (don't ask me how to pronounce her last name, I looked it up!) plays Kate Beckett the cop assigned to Castle. The show has been on for three seasons and does have a fourth pickup. It's not dying in the ratings but it's not the bonafide hit it deserves to be. The cast ensemble is solid and the show has the right blend of humor and detective work. Why should you watch? The show delivers each week and gets better. Can you say that about other shows? I can't. Witty dialogue and chemistry that will actually come to fruition bring me back each week.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/179576/castle-beckett-interrogates-castle#continuous_play=on


2. Cougar Town (ABC Wednesdays 9:30)

You don't watch the show because of the title. Well guess what, you are missing out on the best sitcom that has come around in the last few years. (Yep, sorry Modern Family. I still love you though.) Courtney Cox and Co. bring me to tears laughing each week and I have been dying while Mr. Sunshine has been it's slot for the past two months. Now, why should you watch? It's like watching your life, just a bit crazier. Do you drink a lot of wine (don't say no, you know you do) and talk to your friends? Do you have intricate relationships with your best friends? Ok then. Seriously I can't praise this show enough. It's from the creators of Scrubs and while it does have a third season coming, please please please go watch reruns and fall in love with the worst titled show on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1dH1PwNBSE

3. Hawaii 5-0 (CBS Mondays 10)

All hail the king of remakes! Ok, so I never watched the original but this reboot is already a classic in my book. The premise is simple: Steve McGarret's father is murdered and it turns out to be a conspiracy. Shocker. The real story here is the relationships between McGarret and the rest of his 5-0 crew. Chin-Ho and Kono (now a girl and Chin-Ho's niece) have a sweet banter together. I am still waiting for some more develop with McGarret but I have seen glimpses and I've liked what I saw. The real draw for me is Danno, or as he would rather be called Danny. Played by soon-to-be Emmy winner (if not the Academy is blind and deaf) Scott Caan, this is the real deal. Funny, charismatic, and deadpan delivery make this show amazing. I know, "Kate, I don't need another police drama.". Yes, you do.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/hawaii_five_0/video/?pid=CiZko6_llmP4NWN6AnDPmVzun2cf7QNf

4. Vampire Diaries (CW Thursdays 8)

Yep. I went there. Vampires. Werewolves. Witches. You don't want any of it. I understand, I... oh who am I kidding. I love this stuff!!!! And how can you not, especially when its the best out there? (Dear Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy/Angel whom I respect more than anyone else, please ignore the following statement.) This is the best supernatural show. EVER. I mean it. Ok, you aren't convinced. Then put aside the whole magical aspect and focus on this: a simple love triangle between two brothers. High school romance (which in TV are always superior to anything else). Subplots that keep you interested and wanting more. Excellent writing and acting. Still say no? I dare you to watch the first four episodes and not become completely addicted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIzN8yKDnH4


Ok guys. That is all this television visionary has for today. If you do take my advice and watch some of these shows, fear not, they are all coming back next season. Did I catch your interest? Did I miss a show you think is worthy? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Like the mother and daughter characters on Castle.
    Find Cougar insulting and offensive--what can Courtney Cox be thinking?
    Will give Hawaii a try.
    Say NO to vampires!
    Love Modern Family, V (fun sci-fi), & Gray's Anatomy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Sharon: I do love the mother/daughter on Castle too! I wish there was more of them. Too bad about Cougar Town! And I'm telling you, Vampire Diaries is super addicting!!

    ReplyDelete